This data set represents the yearly, accumulated results of the final (10-day) version of the fire perimeters from the "Burnt Area Daily NRT Incremental Product - Europe, Sentinel-3" dataset.
The burn perimeters are spatially and temporally correlated, so that interrelated detections from consecutive observations are combined into a single feature.
A perimeter is interpreted as belonging to a given event if a spatial overlap exists within a time frame of 15 days. Besides the geometry, attribute information is also combined while considering the size of the perimeter as a weighting factor.
Each feature contains information about the final fire perimeter, Date/Time of the first detection, and the averaged burn severity.
- Satellite: Sentinel-3 A/B
- Sensor: OLCI
- Product: Level 1, Near Real-Time (NRT) / Non-Time Critical (NTC)
- Period: starting from 2017
- Coverage: Europe
- id: Generated unique ID of the burnt area
- first_seen. Date/Time of first detection
- burn_severity (avg_dndvi): Averaged degree of burning, addressing the decrease in vegetation fitness. Ranges from -2 (extremely severe) to > 0.
- confidence_total: Robustness of the result, given in percent. The measure is derived from the number of present active fires in combination with the degree of burning
- t_stamp_start: Startdate/time of the monthly monitoring period
- t_stamp_end: Enddate/time of the monthly monitoring period
- region: Continental monitoring region
- name: Shortened name of the originating Sentinel-3 scene
- area_ha: Size of affected area in hectares
- UKIS Data Tutorials demonstrating the access to these datasets with interactive Jupyter notebooks.
- Michael Nolde, Simon Plank, Torsten Riedlinger. (2020, July 6). An Adaptive and Extensible System for Satellite-Based, Large Scale Burnt Area Monitoring in Near-Real Time. Remote Sens. 2020, 12, 2162. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs12132162
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC 4.0)
DLR, EOC, Burnt Area, Europe, Burn Severity, Sentinel-3, Time-Series, Fire Monitoring, Yearly, Composite
Bounds: 1000000, 850000, 8050000, 5500000