IceLines is an automated calving front monitoring service providing monthly ice shelf front time series of major Antarctic ice shelves. The provided time series allows to discover the dynamics of ice shelf front changes and calving events. The front positions are automatically derived from Sentinel-1 data based on a deep neuronal network called HED-U-Net. The time series covers the timespan 2014 to today (partly limited due to Sentinel-1 data availability). Incorrectly extracted fronts are truncated which might lead to gaps in the time series especially between December to March due to strong surface melt. Annual averages are calculated based on the extracted monthly fronts (excluding the summer months) and provide more robust results due to temporal aggregation.
- Product Name: IceLines - Ice Shelf and Glacier Front Time Series
- Release: 01-06-2022
- Contact: Celia Baumhoer
- Satellite: Sentinel-1
- Sensor: C-band synthetic aperture radar (SAR)
- Format: GeoPackage
- Period: 2014 - today
- Coverage: Antarctica
- License: CC BY 4.0
- Digital Object Identifier (DOI): 10.15489/btc4qu75gr92
- Layer: Icelines Yearly, Icelines Monthly, Icelines Shelfnames, TanDEM-X PolarDEM High Resolution Coastlines of Antarctica 2013-2014, TanDEM-X PolarDEM-X 90m Hillshade Combined of Antarctica
- gid: Shelf ID
- date: Ice Shelf position date
- shelf_name: Name of the Ice Shelf ID
- updated: date of file update
- version: processing version
- Download: HTTP download via EOC Download Service
- Metadata: ISO Collection
- Baumhoer, C. A.: Glacier Front Dynamics of Antarctica - Analysing Changes in Glacier and Ice Shelf Front Position based on SAR Time Series, Dissertation, Julius-Maximilians Universität Würzburg, Würzburg, 2021.
- Baumhoer, C. A., Dietz, A. J., Kneisel, C., Paeth, H., and Kuenzer, C.: Environmental drivers of circum-Antarctic glacier and ice shelf front retreat over the last two decades, The Cryosphere, 15, 23572381, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-15-2357-2021, 2021.
- Heidler, K., Mou, L., Baumhoer, C., Dietz, A., and Zhu, X. X.: HED-UNet: Combined Segmentation and Edge Detection for Monitoring the Antarctic Coastline, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, 114, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2021.3064606 , 2021.
- Baumhoer, C. A., Dietz, A. J., Kneisel, C., and Kuenzer, C.: Automated Extraction of Antarctic Glacier and Ice Shelf Fronts from Sentinel-1 Imagery Using Deep Learning, Remote Sensing, 11, 2529, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11212529, 2019.
- Baumhoer, C., Dietz, A., Dech, S., and Kuenzer, C.: Remote Sensing of Antarctic Glacier and Ice-Shelf Front DynamicsA Review, 10, 1445, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs10091445 , 2018.
DLR © 2022
DLR, EOC, IceLines, Antartica, Landcover, Sentinel-1, time-series, Yearly, Monthly, Quarterly, Daily
Bounds: -5626806, -3604654, 6081232, 4184415